Early days

The land of Areley Kings has been inhabited since Roman times. In 1992 excavation of fields at the junction of the Dunley Road and Pearl Lane revealed evidence of a Roman agricultural site that included an aisled building, a ditched enclosure and a number of pits. [Download the full report on this exaction by  Hemingway & Buteux 1992 CLICK HERE]

The manor of Areley Kings was from early times part of the manor of Martley and the rector of Martley still has the right to appoint the rector at Areley Kings. The manor of Areley originated in a fishery at “Ernel” which, with the land belonging to it, was granted by the Empress Matilda to Bordesley Abbey upon its foundation in 1136.

St Bartholomew’s Parish Church at Areley Kings was founded as a Norman Church in the 12th century, with a continuous history and a substantial re-building in the 19th century. The church is probably first mentioned in the preface of the Brut of Layamon, who wrote sometime between 1189 and 1207. He describes himself as a priest at ‘Erneleye, at a noble church upon Severn’s bank’. Layamon wrote a history of England, partly legendary, partly factual, translating earlier writings from Latin and French. The discovery, during rebuilding, of the base of a Norman font under the nave floor with an inscription containing the name of Layamon, establishes the connection with the writer and shows that a church existed here c.1200.

St Bartholomews 3

The name ‘Areley Kings’ has been used by the village since the 16th century